| Goals and Objectives|
It is often said, “games are a metaphor for life,” as such, successful mastery of this course will develop more than a student’s mathematical capabilities, it will develop lifelong learning skills that will be used in all aspects of life.
- The course is designed to help students particularly grades 2 through 5 understand, develop and solve basic arithmetic equations.
- Students will learn the principles of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in a fun game environment.
- Students will represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction (Math Common Core Standards - Grade 2).
- Students will understand and identify place value (Math Common Core Standards - Grade 2&3).
- Effectively using and understanding the use of the number line.
- Students will represent and solve problems involving multiplication and division (Math Common Core Standards - Grade 3&4).
- Understand properties of multiplication and the relationship between multiplication and division (Math Common Core Standards - Grade 3).
- Understanding the use of probability and its effectiveness in everyday life.
- The course will drive students to gradually speed up their mathematical calculations.
- Exhibiting respect for self and others (English Language Arts - Common Core Standards - Grade 2&3).
- Students will learn to work individual and as a member of a team.
- Understanding and apply patience and self-control.
- Students will provide motivation to their peers.
- Students are encouraged to take what they are learning outside the confines of their classroom and apply it directly to their everyday lives.
After successful completion of this 8-9 week course students should have gained the following:
- Student will know how to represent and solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division correctly with numbers under 100 (Math Common Core Standards - Grade 3).
- Student will know how to identify place value from ones, tens, hundred and thousand (Math Common Core Standards - Grade 3).
- Using the number line, students will correctly solve equations during game play.
- Students will understand the Strategic use of probability within the game and demonstrate how it is used to have their scores either reduced, increase or remain unchanged. Students will know and explain how probability applies to everyday life and the decisions people make.
- The student will be able to utilize strategic thinking to make proper decisions on DOMATICS tile placement within games. Students will be able to explain the correlation between formulating a strategy and successfully reaching one's goals
- Students will understand and demonstrate proper sportsmanship before, during and after their games. Ability to explain the importance of sportsmanship within everyday life.
- Students will know how to demonstrate self-control by resisting the urge to answer problems out of turn. Students will demonstrate patience by providing others an opportunity to learn and play at a slower pace without feeling rushed and or ridiculed. Students will possess the ability to explain the importance of self-control and patience in everyday life (English Language Arts - Common Core Standards - Grade 2&3).
- Students will be able to identify the pros and cons when working individually and working as a member of a team and how it relates to everyday life.
- Students will demonstrate leadership qualities by providing motivation to other players during the game through encouragement. Student will be able to explain the importance of motivation within everyday life.
- Successfully showing respect to other players by providing them an opportunity to work out equations, ask questions without ridicule and being attentive throughout the game. Ability to explain how showing respect is important in gaining respect in everyday life (English Language Arts - Common Core Standards - Grade 2&3).